Friday, April 6, 2012

I wake up to the sound of the dog barking, rooster crowing, kids crying or some obnoxious bird. Most mornings I am already sweating or will soon be. As soon as I walk outside I have red dirt on me, and the bottoms of my feet are never clean. I read to 12 two year olds and wonder if I am mostly reading to myself. But it's when their tiny fingers reach out and touch the pictures that I am reminded. It's when she extends her hand and practices the proper English greeting "Hello, Auntie. How are you?" we shake hands and it's repeated twenty more times before I sit among them. It's when her deep brown eyes tell me she just needs to be held. It's when I have many babies wanting in my lap and I try my hardest to make room. It's when she lays in my lap being shy to the visitor, but in the short few days I have known her I know she is anything BUT shy. It's when her hands are folded and eyes closed and this small child leads her sisters in prayer. It's when they all sing 'He's got the whole world in His hands..'. It's when I tickle them and they giggle contagiously. It's when he picks me pink flowers. It's when we walk hand in hand along Lake Victoria talking about crocodiles. It's when I kiss their cheeks and get warn smiles. It's when their hands are tucked into mine. It then that I remember. THIS is why I traveled 35 hours to sleep under a mosquito net and live on the equator. THIS is why I gave up all familiar and gave into the call of Jesus. They are why, and they are worth it. They change me, day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment